Setting Smart Health Goals in 2021
Have you ever felt like you were working hard but weren’t making any progress towards your goals?
You’re not alone.
Most people feel that way each year around this time.
They set goals, take a few action steps, but never seem to accomplish very much. Often the problem isn’t a lack of motivation… it’s just that they haven’t set smart goals.
Smart health goals make it easier for you to clarify your thoughts, focus your efforts, use your time to your advantage, and increase your chances of not only achieving but surpassing your expectations!
Why it Matters:
Living a healthy life is more than just being free from pain.
Setting health goals, stretching your comfort zone, and celebrating small wins are important parts of a fulfilling life.
As you plan your New Year’s resolutions for a healthy 2021, plan SMART goals.
- Specific: Make your goals specific for more effective planning.
- Measurable: define how you are making progress.
- Attainable: make them reasonable to accomplish.
- Relevant: your goals should align with your values.
- Time-Based: set a date of completion.
There is no better time than right now to begin setting goals to improve your health this year.
Living a healthy life is a journey, so be sure to celebrate each step of your progress, no matter how seemingly small.
And know that our practice is here to help guide you along the way! If you have a health challenge or an ache or pain that’s holding you back from reaching your goals, let us know. We’ll be happy to help!
How to Cultivate a Positive Mindset in 2021
Mindset is the #1 predictor of success.
The conversations that you have with yourself that play a major role in determining your growth.
And thinking that you can’t do something can become a self-fulfilling prophecy that prevents you from acting and making the decisions you need to live your best life.
The good news is that there is good news!
Why it Matters:
You can change your habits, beliefs, and transform the way you think.
When you do, you’ll be able to look at the world with a new perspective, and that alone can empower you to become the person you know you can be.
Pay attention this week to the thought loops that play in your head and try to be more conscientious about what you tell yourself. This small change will help you cultivate a more positive mindset in 2021.
Did you know…
- Negative emotions may weaken your immune response.
- Positive thinking can help you more effectively manage stress and contribute to improving your overall health.
- In fact, a positive outlook has been attributed to a 30% decrease in the likelihood of one day experiencing a cardiovascular event.
Cultivating a positive mindset isn’t just a lackadaisical, “granola” way to approach life.
New research on the mind-body connection has shown us that our mental health impacts much of our physical health, and a positive mindset can lead to improvements in your overall health and well-being.
Speaking of that mind-body connection, if you have a health challenge or some other aches and pains that are weighing on your mind, let us know. We’re here to help!
Moving Your Way to Better Health in 2021
You’ve heard it before: regular exercise is good for your physical and mental health.
Daily exercise can help you lose weight, lower your risk of future health challenges, reduce your stress, and improve your mental outlook.
But, if you’re like many people (over 80% to be exact!), you just aren’t getting enough exercise each week.
Why it Matters:
As chiropractors, a primary focus of ours is movement-based care.
Your overall health is influenced by three types of movement:
- Segmental: how well your body’s individual joints move.
- Regional: how well your neck, low back, arms, and legs move.
- Whole body: how well your whole body moves.
- Segmental Movement: Regular chiropractic adjustments can positively influence the function of your nervous system, help decrease aches and pains, and help relax your muscles
- Regional Movement: Regular stretching can help to improve your range of motion and biomechanics and your energy levels.
- Whole Body Movement: Daily exercise can help to improve your mood and your sleep and help to lower your risk of chronic disease.
Millions of people make New Year’s resolutions to get more active each year… and each year, they seem to come up short…but this year, you have the tools and resources to succeed!
By setting smart health goals and cultivating a positive mindset, you have the right foundation to begin moving your body towards better health in 2021.
And if you notice you’re struggling to stay on track, or you’re sidelined by chronic aches and pains, let us know. We’re here to help you get healthy and stay healthy so you can stay active and reach your goals!
Increasing Your Energy in 2021
Have you found yourself tired and drained at the end of each day?
It may be easy to grab a second (or tenth?!) coffee or energy drink but boosting your energy level doesn’t mean you need to rely on caffeine.
Creating smart, healthy habits each day can help increase your energy level, mental focus, and endurance.
Why it Matters:
When you walk through the grocery store, you may notice dozens of products designed to increase your energy level lining the shelves.
Many of these synthetic stimulants aren’t healthy, and some can even become addictive.
Instead of that daily quick fix, it’s better to take a step back and consider the effect that your stress levels, exercise frequency, and diet can have on your energy levels.
- Being stressed out consumes a ton of energy. Bringing down your mental stress levels with a relaxing activity like meditation and your physical tension with some quick physical therapy in the form of chiropractic care can help you reclaim that energy.
- Daily exercise can help you sleep better, elevate your mood, and further improve your energy levels by boosting the amount of oxygen circulating in your body.
- Eating foods with a low glycemic index (where sugar is absorbed slowly) can help you avoid a crash after meals and snacks, keeping you more energized throughout the day.
Developing an awareness of your daily habits and making small changes can result in big changes.
Start with avoiding using caffeine as a crutch and instead making positive lifestyle choices like those we just mentioned – and if you have questions or would like our specific natural supplement recommendations, just let us know.
We’re here to help!